Sunday, February 10, 2008

WVU Unsafe During Bad Weather?

Even though the weather has been okay these last few days, I
think we all can agree that within the last month or so the weather
has been bad several times and can get bad again before winter is
over. I am sure that I am not the only one that has had their rounds
with the sidewalk on the days with bad weather. The news channels do
okay with predicting when the weather will be bad, so you would think
that WVU would pay attention to that and try to have the sidewalks
salted and/or cleared for us. I understand that it would be hard to
salt all of the sidewalks in Morgantown, but you would think they
would salt all of the main sidewalks downtown by the Mountain Lair and
such. Also, the janitors for the individual resident halls should salt
the walks outside the halls.
I understand not shoveling the sidewalks but salting the walks
the night before or the morning of a snow or ice storm would make
things a whole bunch safer. I have nearly fallen twice and my friends
have fallen several times too. These sidewalks are crazy when the
weather is bad and I just wish WVU would take some precautions to help
their students feel safe when they are walking on the sidewalks that
are on steep inclines and such.

C.Fowler

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand where you are coming from because last sememster I was one of the ones that fell walking to class. It was not only quite embarassing but it was also pretty painful. Also, I had to go to class with wet pants which is very uncomfotable. I feel that you are right with trying to make people try and salt the sidewalks to help prevent injuries. It is pretty annoying when you have to rush to class and you have to worry about the whole time whether you are going to fall or not. I feel that WVU should take more action by salting as much as they can on all the sidewalks here at WVU.

Anonymous said...

I agree that the University needs to salt when snow/icy weather is predicted. They should be proactive.While walking to Armstrong after a snow last sememster the steps and walk had a solid coat of ice on them.It was so solid it was too difficult to get off early in the day so they had to wait for it to warm up.It was finally being cleared after I left class, after several people had already fallen.

Anonymous said...

That is such a good point. I think almost everyday that I have had to walk to class in that crap I say to a friend "they really should have salted this." I have had that problem in front of Armstrong as well. I don't see why they don't have a better plan for this ice when this obviously isn't the first year that it has snowed in West Virginia. I bet they could even find some volunteers to get together and salt everywhere free of charge. I just think they would rather not take the time because it's not something that is happening everyday.

JG said...

I, too, have nearly been the victim of the slalom that goes up between Hodges and the PRT station when it's icy outside. Not that I think we ought to have more frivolous lawsuits, but I'm really surprised somebody hasn't broken a leg, or something, and sued the university. Would it kill them to throw a bag of salt over that spot?!

Anonymous said...

I have fallen too so i definitely agree with you. I dont think it is completely necessary to salt every sidewalk just the main ones are the key. like the ones in front of the mountainlair and halls that have classes in them. Also the prt and dormortories walkways those can get bad. If they just work on where most people walk around i think it would be a lot better around here but not perfect.