Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Americans Too Quick to Stereotype

Someone call 911, it’s 9/11 and the world trade center is falling. The Islamic extremists have achieved a sinister scheme.

Three Years later, I got a Muslim Jilabiah as a birthday gift so I decided to wear it out that day to show off to my friends at school. At first, when I got to the Dairy mart everybody was staring at me; I thought my outfit was the reason so I felt like a celebrity, smiling back to grimaced faces and standing upfront like a Soldier. On my way to school I noticed a policewoman following me all around, apparently she had been stalking me. Finally, she stopped me and asked why I was dressed like Obama. How ironic I didn’t know she meant Osama till she said something awful about the Muslim I could barely recollect. I was interrogated for a few minutes then she asked me to go back home and change my outfit. The rest of the day, I felt embarrassed, and I felt like the American community totally ruined my birthday; No one allowed me a lengthy conversation; they all tried to make it as brief as possible all because I was dressed like a Muslim. Some will say the Muslim deserves whatever treatment they get because majority of them support the extremists but why do people classify innocent Muslims as al Qaeda?

7 comments:

JG said...

I'm very sorry that happened to you, especially on your birthday. Depending on the community you are in, Americans can be too quick to lump anything that looks remotely Arabic as "terrorist", which I think is incredibly short sighted and stupid.

Most of the 1.4 billion Muslims in this world are very peaceful people. I've known many Muslims from the different communities I've lived in, which has helped me understand the culture better.

Americans who think all Muslims must support al Qaeda need a better education.

Anonymous said...

i am sorry that happened on your birthday also. I do think americans can be rude and ignorant when it comes to stereotyping. I know muslim people and have never though anything bad of them. Many of them are very kind.

Anonymous said...

this story outrages me. First off, saying that americans are quick to stereotype is a stereotype.All people make to quick of a judgment and stereotype people way to often. secondly, what you did was wrong. if it was me i would have hit the cop right in the face. you have to be willing to fight for your rights as a person. you can wear whatever you want and and you cant let anyone tell you otherwise. not even an ignorantly blinded cop.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear about that incident on your birthday. Most americans tend to judge people without getting to really know the person. However, I tend to be the ones that will judge people which I know is wrong. To this day when I go on vacations on a plane, I look around to view all the people going on the plane with me. When I see an islamic person I tend to look at them more because I have to admit I get a little scared and hope that they are not getting on the same plane as me. Which is wrong because he or she might be the sweetest person ever.

nateadams said...

I also am sorry for your birthday being ruined. That is the society that we live in though, people have been raised to think that way. If you look at the lifestyle of most of the people who stereotype so quickly, most of their family will be the same way. They have been around it all their life, so they automatically begin to think the same way. It really is a shame

JG said...

Moatilliata, go ahead and sock the cop and report back to us on what happens with your freedom. :D You first...

Anonymous said...

You did want to show off your Jilabiah so you knew people would take notice.I think that what the cop did was unnecessary, however maybe she was looking out for your best interest by asking you to change?The comment however makes me think differently. Although if there are more ignorant people in that community they may not have asked you to change, but taken other action. It is a sad fact, but there is a reason they have hate crime laws. I am sorry that you were stereotyped.I had muslims in my community and they were not treated like you were even immediately after the 9/11 attacks.I hope that you will not stereotype the American community based on your unfortunate experience.