Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Cheerleading: Sport or Not?

Whenever people are asked whether cheerleading is a sport or not, there is usually 1 of 2 answers, yes or no. Now dont get me wrong, I'm not just going to say it is because I have cheered my whole life. I have reasoning behind what I believe. I can see where people can be mislead by the "sport" aspect of it. Many people/students only see the cheering part of cheerleading. They are just a group of girls/guys screaming and shouting for a particular sporting event. Wrong. That there isnt exactly what people consider a "sport" quality but there is so much more to cheerleading than that. What people do not see however, is what happens behind the scenes. If you have ever been to a cheerleading competition then you probably know exactly what I am talking about. Cheerleaders pretty much commit their whole lives and free time to blood, sweat, and tears. They throw away their weekends and evenings to having from anywhere from 2-6 hour practices just to make their 2 minutes and 30 seconds on the competition floor count. They need to have perfectly timed tumbling and sturdy, stiff builds. Not many people are able to pull a tuck out of no where or be tossed yards in the air. I to this day have yet to meet someone who has been able ot jump into cheerleading and be good at it without having years of experience. Its one of those talents you have to work hard and learn over time. I think cheerleading is one of the stereotypical instances where people need to take a closer look before they judge. What do you think?

NH

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree with you more. My little sister has been playing soccer her whole life and she sees sports as strictly full contact activities centered around some sort of ball. She never really understood cheerleading until I got involved with all-stars. After awhile I got so fed up with her making fun of me I made her come to one of my practices. I made me try to tumble and we tried to put her in a stunt but she couldn't do any of it. She couldn't even get motions right. After experiencing just one practice where I had 3 a week sometimes more, she has never been more supportive. She hasn't missed one of my competitions and she's one of my main inspirations for trying to land a new skill. I don't know much about soccer and she doesn't know much about cheerleading but we both understand that we each put the same amount of time and effort into what we love to do.