Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Military Family Members

My brother is in the Marines. Growing up, he was never the type of guy you'd think would go into the armed forces but after a semester in college he decided that the military was the better choice for him. He is currently in LA for schooling but in a few months he will have his stationing orders. He thinks he'll be stationed in San Diego but my dad and my granddad think otherwise. I've never been close to my brother, we had very different personalities. He was more on the punk rock side and I was a preppy cheerleader. I'm proud of my brother for making it through basic training but it's hard for me to be proud of him for going. He went as a last resort after dropping out of college. I feel like now we have less in common; I am completely against war and after basic training he is a new person with new beliefs on the government. I feel like the more he is involved with the military the more and more we'll grow apart.

-- Krys

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Leave your differences aside and think about what your brother has gone through. Basic training is hell and that is just enough of a reason to be proud of him. Think of all the men and women who got their head blown off in some crap hole country so I could blog, you could cheerlead, we could all go to school and even do stupid things like A'holes doing coke in our country. I'll say it again, people die in crap hole countries so A'holes can blow coke! Whether or not the United States is fighting in the right place we all have an obligation to be proud of people in service, so put differences aside and try asking him what it is like being a marine. Ask him about his basic training, about firing a gun and about his stories, and about all his friends he has made. I will guarentee if you take it to heart and actually think about the significance of what people in the service actually do, you will think of your brother in a whole new light.