Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Long Distance Relationships

Everyone has different views of long term relationships. My main problem with this is college students. I have heard of so many couples of breaking up after high school because, they are both going to different colleges. My girlfriend the other day told me about how people were planing there break ups because of college. I know that long distance scares everyone but when it all comes down to it, do youreally want to leave that person? In some cases it is a way to get away from another person, but I feel strongly that if both partners are willing to make it work then everything will be fine. Sure you are going to have your bumps in the road but that's life and you will get over them. For example I have been dating my girlfriend Colleen for a little over a year, and she is now attending the University of Cobleskill in upstate New York, and I am down her at West Virginia. Since day one we told ourselves and each other that we were not going to let college end what we have going. So we said are goodbyes and like I always say goodbyes are never forever, and I will see her in about a month from now. Sure it is hard being 600 miles away but there is no stronger bond then love. Real love not the teenage puppy love that everyone has. That leads me into asking, how do you all feel about long distance relationships whether your in one or not?

-- RS

7 comments:

JG said...

Well, it depends. What happens at this stage is life is that usually people start growing more--it's like another evolution of your life. And what a lot of people find is that they're just not the same person they were in high school, and so they don't want the same things they used to want.

On the other hand, if that part of your life hasn't changed, then it can work, but you have *got* to talk to each other so often it doesn't really feel like you're apart.

It can work. I dated someone for two years long distance. We're married now.

Anonymous said...

In my opinion, long distance relationships can work just fine as long as you have one thing -- TRUST! As long as you both know that neither of you is with anyone else, everything should work just fine unless you just grow apart. I do think that distance makes the heart grow fonder. You realize how much you miss and care for someone and you stop taking the time you spend seeing and talking to them for granted. It can work better because if you see each other less, you won't want to fight about anything when you're together and overall you'll just want to be happy together.

SP said...

I believe that as long as you and your partner are true and honest to each other, the long distance relationship can work out. You both have to be committed to the relationship. I feel as though if you are really committed to each other, the long distance can even make the relationship stronger.
As long as you both want the relationship to work it will work. Of course there will be rough times but as long as you and you partner continuously stay in touch with one another than it almost seems as though you are really not to apart.

Anonymous said...

I am currently in a long distance relationship right now too, and it's working out great. I've known this guy since i was 16 but we didn't start dating until the summer before i left for school. we were both nervous about what would happen before i left for school but things are working out fine. we're both mature and trust each other very much. I've never even gotten in a fight with him. I think people who don't have trust and communication in a realtionship will definately not survive long distance. Most people's reasoning behind breaking up before college is secretly beacuse they just want to get with random people, dispite what they may say.

Anonymous said...

I agree with that, my boyfriend is still by my home in New Jersey. He's planning on coming over this way to come to college next year, hopefully in Pittsburgh. We are doing absolutely perfect! I hate it when people say oh your relationship won't last, no ones does. I just want to scream at them and say they don't know. My brother is 28 now and he went to school in Balitmore and his girlfriend now wife went to school in Washington State. They met when they studied aboard in Australia. They are still happy to this day.

Anonymous said...

My opinion of long distance relationships are that they can work, they just take more work then regular relationships. If you're dedicated to someone enough then you can make it work. I definately believe distance makes the heart grow fonder. You stop taking advantage of the time you spend together because it's not a lot anymore. That means you're less likely to fight about things that mean nothing.

Anonymous said...

I think that long distant relationships can work. My boyfriend and I just had our 4 years and we are truly better than ever. You just really have to trust that person and think about your future together and that this is just one step closer to starting a future together. My boyfriend plans to come here for college next year so we get to look foreward to that this year. TRUST TRUST TRUST TRUST
~WVUH2