Wednesday, September 5, 2007

How Do People Outside of Our School View WVU?


So every student that goes to college usually has mad school spirit
for the school & is never afraid to show it. In my opinion WVU
students have to most school spirit around...clearly. So has it
crossed anyones mind why people make negative remarks when you tell
them you go to WVU and your proud of it. I went home this past
weekend, and people who i knew asked how school was and all those
other lame questions just to be nice, but when someone asked Ohh where
do you go? and i said WVU they would be like Ohh.. and make a face or
say something negative remark about the school and the recent #1 spot
on the Princeton Review of Top Party schools. Which i think is
completely bullshit. I mean just because i go to a school that has a
reputation for being a very big party school and that has a ton of
school spirit does not mean that it is a horrible institution for
learning. I just wish people would not judge the school i go to by
what they hear or read from someone or something else.
It must not be as bad of a school if all these people go here and the
ones who have graduated have made something of themselves.


Caitlin Rubinstein


Why is it that WVU has a bad name? Is it because we were recognized as the biggest party school or because we were voted as a whole as the university that least studies? Even though i am very proud of this award as number 1 party school how can it be true? There is no real measure of what school parties the most because lets face it all universities party. Is it because we have better sports teams, and are others jealous? Coming from another state and coming to West Virginia I now have such pride in this university and state that I didn't before. I don't care if my mom is nervous I go to the number 1 party school because if I can survive and make it through this school without failing out and coming out with a good degree, I must have determination and responisibilty to do my work and learn but at the same time have fun.

bborgony

6 comments:

JG said...

I agree with Borgony's last sentence, especially. People often tease me about teaching here and what it must be like. Yeah, I suppose we have more students coming in with hangovers than most places. But we always joke that if you can teach here, you can teach anywhere. Here is the real challenge!

Anonymous said...

I don't really think it matters if other people think WVU is a good reputable school or not unless they are a future employer. I also think that people jump the gun about judging everyone that goes to WVU. Just because we are the #1 party school doesn't mean that every kid that goes there is getting hammered everynight. It's not really a big deal. This was my first choice for college coming out of high school and I heard what people were saying about it and as a sophomore now I'm glad I came here instead of anywhere else.

Ryan Turner said...

I don't think that it is a bad thing we go to such a party school. My experiences have been much different. All my friends want to come up to WV cause of its reputation and after they visit they all say that they wish they went here. Some people give me crap but usually people think that we party hard and don't even mention our academics.

Anonymous said...

I have a lot of freinds attending many different schools across the country including many others high on the princeton review such as UCSB and Chico State and one complaint i hear from them so many times is that they simply arent enjoying their themselves in college. I go to WVU and am proud of it, work hard, support our sports and party like nobody does at any other college in the country. As a junior with a very competitive GPA all i can say to those that give me a hard time is that i had more fun doin it than them. They can judge all they want to but in ten years i will be the one with the success and the memories.

JG said...

A lot of people are making this school their #1 choice. You don't really hear as many stories anymore about how people are going to WVU because they didn't get in somewhere else.

saramathess023 said...

I think that just because we are the number one party school doesn't mean we shouldn't be the number one choice for most kids in the area. I believe that we have a beautiful campus and wonderful professors. Just because we party alot shouldn't be someone's reason for choosing WVU.