Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Come to Class!!--Or Not?

College Attendance: Should colleges become stricter?

In college today, when speaking of attendance, it is all in the
decision of the student. This is obviously not like high school to
where you must go to class or else you will receive a cut. In college
rather they student must make the decision to attend class and this is
in order to receive an education. But experiencing college thus far, I
have noticed that not all teachers have made attendance mandatory.
Some of my own teachers do not even take attendance therefore given
the opportunity for students to be regularly absent. While most
teachers therefore believe it is the student’s choice to come to
class. So the real question is should all professors make attendance
mandatory rather than students come and go as they please? This may be
going back to the days of high school but this is an educational
institution and their goal is to further our education. College
though is supposed to be about being more independent and making your
own decisions. So how strict or attentive
should college be about students’ attendance or do you like the way it
is?

-- Mach

3 comments:

Malcomb said...

I think this is an issue of the students maturity level. I think that if a student is able to do well on tests and exams without going to class, the one shouldn't have to go. I can understand when some teachers require attendance for the upper level classes, but not the lower, general classes.

JG said...

I agree with Malcomb. But it's a rare student who can miss a bunch of class and still do well on the assignments. More power to them if they can. In my experience, people who don't show up to class usually do really poorly, even without an attendance policy. And this is my experience as a teacher and a student!

Anonymous said...

So far in my college experience I feel as if I didn't go to my classes, I wouldn't be doing as well as I am. I feel that by taking notes while actually listening to the professor is very beneficial. Many of the times the exact wording from the professor is the exact wording of the question on the exam. I do know that it is up to the student seeing as it is their money being used on the class... but shouldn't it make them go to class then?