Friday, September 21, 2007

Dorms or Home?

I don't think many others have the same experience as me, but I'm hoping everybody will know what I am talking about, and possibly want to add your imput on the dorms... Yesterday, I was talking to somebody about how my college experience has been so far and we got onto the subject of the dorms. I'm from Morgantown, so I live about 5 minutes driving, 20 minutes walking, from downtown campus. So, many people over the last few months have asked why I am living in the dorm. My answer, simply, is that if I lived at home, college would be like high school all over again. I'm a very social person, so my favorite part about Stalnaker is meeting new people. I like to leave my door open and talk to anybody who walks by (if they want to stop and chat). There is no way that I would meet so many people if I was living at home. And of course you've all heard about how most of what we learn in college won't come from classes; I think that living in the dorm is part of that non-class experience that college students should have. Sure we'd rather have home-cooked food, but is it really that bad that you'd rather be at home with your parents? College is about learning to do things on your own and I think that the dorm experience is great for doing just that.


-- Li

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. My mother always told me that nobody should live at home during college. Not only do you miss out on seemingly little events, you miss out on the whole college opportunity. You learn responsibility when away from your parents. You also get a jump start into the real world... kind of.

Malcomb said...

I completely agree that students should definitely be required to live in a dorm when attending college. I think i will definely appreciate an apartment alot more next year after this experience. But i dont mind living in a dorm because of all the opporotunities and new friends i have made. I couldnt imagine commuting from home. Thats one of the main reasons i came to college, was to get out on my own and away from home.