Monday, October 15, 2007

WVU Security Alert!

Emergency Alert System

The new Emergency Alert System the University is offering is a great thing. If nobody has heard of it, they are offering to send a text message to your cell phone in case of an emergency on campus. I think this is a great thing, especially since not everyone has a computer and is able to check MIX on a regular basis. It is also a good thing if you were in a class and something happened on campus, instead of not being aware you can be notified as soon as the alert goes out. The implementation of this is very necessary, especially after the VT massacre in April. I definately signed up for this and think everyone else should too! If you want to sign up, log in to your MIX account and there is an icon you can click on and register for it.... Seriously, everyone needs to do this.

-- Walker

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think its a good idea too!!

Anonymous said...

First off I will say that I am very confused about the whole blogging idea. I thought i was supposed to type a paragraph or so on something and leave it for other people to respond to. However, I cannot figure out how to do that and all I have figured out was that I can leave a comment on someone else's writings. I hope this works.
I agree with Walker about the alert system and I believe that it could be very helpfull. I signed up for the alert system when I first saw it advertised on MIX, but I do not think it is working correctly. I have received e-mails regarding the alerts, but I have not received any text messages. I do not know if it is just my phone with the problems or if it is everyone having the same problems.
Once the problem, which may just be me, is fixed I believe the alert system would be one of the best things WVU has done. Especially, nowadays you cannot really trust anyone and there are school shootings and other issues all of the time. The alert system may not stop these attacks and other things from happening, but I believe that it could cut down on the level of the disaster.
Overall, I think the alert system is GREAT!!!