Sunday, January 21, 2007

We Don't Really Have To Respond To This...Right?

Print

Participation in Class

Participation is important for a class of a smaller size. In order for the class to function properly the students must get involved with the discussion. The thing about it is many students don’t like to participate in class. I personally think there are many reasons for this. Many students don’t feel comfortable talking in front of people they don’t know that well. I can say from past classes that normally as the class goes on in the semester people get more comfortable talking in front of fellow classmates. Also many kids are not morning people and are just not functioning at 9:30. This is defiantly a factor when talking about participation because most students are just not in the talking mood at that time. Another thing to look at is the students themselves. Most of the time it always the same students participating either because they are more interested in the topic, or know more about the subject, or are just more comfortable talking in front of others. Normally it doe s get to the point where a good portion of the class is working together and the class is not forced to talk by the teacher.

--Cowan

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with Cowan's views on participation. I think that participation is a key to a good class period and it gets the students invloved and interested more. I would be so boring if the teacher just stood up in the front in talked and didn't ask for student participation. A lot of students find it hard to participate in class because they don't feel comfortable speaking in front of other classmates. I also agree that when people are in smalled groups and don't have to speak in front of everyone and the teacher, they will say more.
-Stephanie Learn

Anonymous said...

I am not a shy person, but alot of times I have trouble participating in class because I contemplate on what I am going to say, if it is right or not and what people will think of me. But on the subject of class participation, I agree that it makes the class better. Hearing different peoples point of view, helps me to understand the subject in which we are speaking. When one person speaks, it may cause others to speak up as well, which makes the class more interesting. I think when people are in smaller groups would talk more as well.

O'Roke

Anonymous said...

Although 8:30 is a bit early for me to function, I like classes in which there is participation. It makes the 50 mins. go by less painfully. Also, it's nice to know you can speak up in class and be heard, the other students listen and give feedback and that's the easiest way to learn i think.

Anonymous said...

I am a shy person. I have always been uncomfortable speaking up in front of class because I am afraid of what people may think. If I do have an opinion on something, It is much easier to talk in front of a smaller class. I also like when there is a class discussion because it is interesting to hear other peoples point of view.
-Gilmore-

Anonymous said...

I used to be shy about speaking in class and in front of large groups. Now, being in the engineering major we have to give presentations all of the time so this has helped out a lot with my shyness. I agree with Gilmore because I also enjoy the class discussions when we get to hear each other's ideas. However, I really like the idea of the blog. If you are uncomfortable speaking in class for fear of what others think, being wrong, or being shy. I think it is a excellent alternative for students to participate in.

--Andrew

Anonymous said...

I think the blog is a great idea. I'm not great with public speaking, and I never have been. I know it's important to develop these skills, but I'm still kinda shy about speaking up in class. I do, however, enjoy the class and I think the blog is a great way to participate and communicate.

Anonymous said...

I have found that I do better in class, at any time. Blogging I dont think is a good idea for everybody, it is for some, however for me, I will just put it off or wont know what to say, where as in class, I can figure out what to say by the topic or enviroment. like what are the other students doing and are they participating. However I like to do public speaking so I dont think this applys to much for me.
Cranfill