Thursday, March 1, 2007

So...Did Anything Surprising Happen?

I was most surprised with how much information I received
from the interview. I asked about fifteen questions and had plenty to
write about in my paper. I thought the paper was easy to write
because I had all the information I needed in my transcript. I was
also surprised how hard it was to set up a meeting with the person I
was interviewing. I thought I would be able to meet with him any time
I wanted, but it came down to the last minute. The last thing that
surprised me was the responses I got to some of my questions. I
thought the person I was interviewing would give short simple
answers. He gave very detailed answers and was not afraid to open
up. The interview paper was not as bad as I thought it would be.
-- Devan

For my interview, I chose my sociology teacher here at WVU, Daniel
Brewster. I interviewed him on how society can make a country how it
is. I made this point by discussing the genocide occuring in Africa
with him, because he is very knowledgable of the events occuring over
there. What my paper was about was why no other countries were
helping the people of AFrica, and how it relates to sociology. The
interview was very insightful. First, I had to research the events in
Africa, which I found to be greatly disturbing. Second, Brewster
taught me to notice the sociological aspects of why America wasn't
helping Africa. I couldn't beleive some things that he said because
they make sense, but you never want to hear them because it makes
America arrogant and unmoral. Overall, he opened my eyes to how a
society transforms how the country acts.
-Tanya

I was very suprised to find out the reasons why my friend smokes,
and the amount of money that he spent on smoking a week. I was also very
interested to find out his view towards smoking, and how other people
felt about him smoking. And finally i was shocked to learn that smokig
had not really affected him at all. He is still able to do everything
that he had been able to do before he started smoking.
-- Anonymous

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, there were alot of things that surprised me during my interview. I interviewed a mine superintendent about mine safety. The interview provided me with alot of useful infomration. I learned all about new technologies and procedures miners have to engage in to make the mine a safer place to work. I found the the information to be very helpful and interesting. There is alot of things currently being done in order to improve mine conditons.

- Yearsley

Anonymous said...

My interview wasn't too suprising. I was given way more information than I expected. I found out some suprising things about animals and plants that are being affected by global warming. If I had to pick one fact that shocked me the most, it would be that global warming is causing an increase in a certain fungus that is responsible for killing frogs that secrete a chemical that has the potential to cure AIDS.

-Kave

Anonymous said...

I never realized how interesting my interview was until I began writing my journal number five. I interviewed my brother on the military because he is in the ARMY, has been to Afghanistan and recently just got told that he will be leaving for Iraq in May. I considered him to be an expert because of his experiences that many people do not know of. This interview was on a very sensitive subject by my family because they did not support my brother signing up, they wanted him to go to college. When I did my interview, I did it infront of my whole family, and to my surprise, most of them were crying at the end. My brother has never really told or shared any of his experiences with us, but that day, reality hit home for my family. It was a very emotional and surprising time and helped my family reunite their love together.

-O'Roke

Anonymous said...

I found that fifteen questions was enough to get four pages out of. I wrote about mine safety because my father is a retired miner. He worked in the mine for twenty five years. This issue was really important to my whole family. I was surprised however to find out that my dad was pretty pleased with mine safety. He told me he thought there should be more communication available to the outside and a GPS system should be put into place to track all miners. I think this is a great idea too. Other than those two ideas my dad thought his mine was fairly safe. I was really surprised by this because my dad had to risk his life everyday he went to work, I thought he feel differently.

Anonymous said...

I was shocked to actually learn somthing from my interview, considering I interviewed my father. I thought that I would ask questions that I could almost guess his answers too but I was totally wrong. That was the most surprising for sure.

Anonymous said...

For my paper I chose to do sexual assault here at WVU. I was very suprised to find out how many people do not come forward after a rape. I do not understand why they would let their offender get away with such a horrible crime. It was also interesting to find out that 90% of rapes involve alcohol and drugs. Individuals really need to be careful while they are under the influence, because you never know what can happen. Another amazing statistic would have to be that 80% of sexual assaults are committed by an acquaintance of some sort.It is very important to be careful with people you may not know that well.

Anonymous said...

I did my interview on females in the field of engineering. I was shocked to learn that if the females is qualified the expert said the female will recieve the higher salary over the male opposed to the stereotype that males are the prefered gender. He also said that women have a natural toughness too them and because of this females are naturally mentally tougher then males. This determination sets them apart from males. That was the most shocking thing I learned from my interview.

--Andrew

Anonymous said...

In my interview paper I was more surprised by the follow up informtion then by the information provided by my subject. Don't get me wrong my subject was very informative but I researched into a few things he had said about the enhancing substance use and sports and I found that 98% of Olympians would use an enhancing substance if they wouldn't get caught, and 50% of them would use something that would guarantee a victory for 5 years but then die. This is highly disturbing to the world of sports. S.Purtell

Anonymous said...

For my interview, I interviewed Dr. Smirnov, a professor of Mechanical Engineering here at WVU. I interviewed him about fuel cells, and I was surprised as to how important an alternative energy source like a fuel cell is. According to him, most of our energy comes from fossil fuels, and this fossil fuel supply, particularly natural gas, will be diminished circa 15 years. This surprised me because 15 years is not that far away! I think that there should be a greater emphasis in the research and production of alternative energy sources because in 15 years, we might not have sufficient energy supplies to cover our needs.
-Kang

Anonymous said...

Not much really surprised me during the interview. Other than some of the statistics of homeless people in our country, let alone Morgantown. But it did surprise me how easy it was to write the paper after the transcript was done.
-Stephanie Learn