Thursday, February 1, 2007

Are You Getting Your Money's Worth?

I think that there is enough "critical thinking" here at WVU. I
personally do not really care about them because I will do the same in
each one. They do not make me really think to much, however they can
be kind of hard. They also give more homework in those classes, so I
do learn more, however you can only have so many of those kind of
classes because you might overwhelm yourself with homework and all the
other stuff that we have to do.

Mara Cranfill


I feel that in high school there were not enough critical thinking components in my classes. It seemed like all you had to do was memorize information long enough to spit it out for a test. I was never given an article to analyze and tell someone what it was about. I found this to be very difficult to do when I first came to college.

In my first semester of college here at WVU I had a Nursing class where I used critical thinking. They would give us a scenario and we would have to analyze it and diagnose the patient. Other than that most of my classes just involved memorization of facts. However, inmy second semester, I feel that I must use critical thinking more in all of my classes.

I believe that you do get more out of a class if you are forced to think critically and analyze material. Because in order to think something through critically you must really know the information. This will force you to study because there is no guessing involved. The critical thinking classes are more difficult because you must pay attention and know what you are doing to do good in the class. I feel that they are very boring to sit through. I think it is because you must pay attention to everything being said and if it is a subject you don't like then you are definitely going to be bored in that class.

-- Katie Fidazzo

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Critical thinking can be very difficult. Especially if you have no experience in it.I know when I was in high school also, we did not have any critical thinking assignments to do.So when I was first introduced to it,here at WVU, I literally thought I was going to die! I managed to get through it though and I have to say I learned a lot from it.
--Gilmore--

Anonymous said...

In high school we did some critical thinking, but not a lot. So when I came here to wvu it was not that big of a shocker. I think it is one of the most challenging things to write about, but a good technique to know how to do. Hopefully for this upcoming assignment I'll learn how to do it a lot better, because I am not comfortable about it now.
-Stephanie Learn

Anonymous said...

I agree about wanting to die when it came to actually having to critically think about school work. All throughout high school information was literally spoon fed to me and coming here was a huge wake up call. Luckily, it's gotten alot easier throughout the semester.
-J.Mohr

Anonymous said...

In high school I know we didnt do much critical thinking. We would
do it every now and then and it would be tough. I never got them
right. I basically got through high school by memorization. In
college there is definiitely a lot more critical thinking. I think it
prepares us for the future.

Anonymous said...

I really don't think high school prepares you for college very well. I agree all the information is given to you. We used to get study guides that had all the questions and answers to the test on it. In college you have to listen and interpret lectures and read for yourself. On tests you are required to interpret this information and apply it. It's important to learn this though because this is what you have to do for your job.